Autumn Gardening Chores: Zone 6
- Set out cool-weather vegetable transplants, including salad greens, broccoli, kale and cabbage. Continue to harvest available vegetable to stretch their season.
- Sow seeds of fall veggies and annuals
- Sow seeds of cool-weather herbs (chives, parsley)
- Plant garlic and leeks
- Plant winter pansies and fall annuals (calendula, dianthus, ornamental cabbage and kale)
- Plant tag teams of perennials and spring-blooming bulbs that will complement each other or bloom in sequence next season. Divide & transplant bearded iris.
- As tops die back, harvest potatoes, onions and garlic
- Plant peonies
- Plant fall-blooming bulbs to brighten up fading window boxes, planters and in drifts among ornamental grasses
- Continue to harvest herbs, grasses and flowers for drying
- Sprinkle compost starter to speed up composting for fall soil building
- Prune summer-blooming shrubs (hydrangea, clethra, caryopteris) after flowers finish
Source: Backyard Gardener